I am a Life Sciences Librarian at Iowa State University. As a subject and liaison librarian, I am responsible for purchasing books and journals, instructional support, and reference questions for my liaison departments. The departments (and programs) that I currently liaison for are:
- Plant Pathology
- Sustainable Agriculture
My first priority, as we are at an academic institution and not a public library, is to purchase scholarly books and journals on the above topics. However, I also do purchase more general, popular, or leisure books for our patrons. This list of departments covers a wide range of topics that I purchase books on.
If you are affiliated with ISU, I also happily take, and usually complete, book purchase suggestions. If you are not a student, staff, or faculty member at Iowa State University, then please do not send me a purchase suggestion.
Agronomy deals with more large scale agriculture, such as wheat, oats, soybean, and maize. Major concerns are high yields, improved breeding and strains, and precision agriculture. As a land-grant university, and Iowa’s deep history with agriculture, this is a major collection area. One of our goals is to collect everything published on corn and soybean since it is a major crop in the area. Agronomy has been part of the university since it was created in 1858. Primary LC Classes are S, SB, and QK, which are general agriculture, plant culture, and botany, respectively.
- Crop physiology applications for genetic improvement and agronomy
- Tall fescue for the twenty-first century
- soybean and wheat crops: growth, fertilization, and yield
- genetics, genomics and breeding in soybean
- GIS applications in agriculture
- cover crops and crop yields
Horticulture concerns mainly fruits and vegetables, but also encompasses turf grass, ornamental plants, gardens (both aesthetic as well as food production), and greenhouse growing. The first horticulture degree earned from ISU was in 1877 and was an M.S. degree. The department offered its first B.S. in Horticulture in 1904. The primary LC Class is SB 1-468, but also touches on GV, QK, and TP, which are golfing and golf greens, Plant physiology/ecology/botany, and wine/winemaking, respectively.
- ornamental horticulture
- horticultural reviews
- urban horticulture: ecology, landscape, and agriculture
- blueberries. crop production science in horticulture
- roses, impatiens, and monographs on specific species or families of flowers
- compost science and technology
- garden design
- Zen gardens of Japan
- the role of plant pathology in food safety and food security
- management of plant diseases
- the downy mildews: genetics, molecular biology and control
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens: from plant pathology to biotechnology
- fungal pathogens and diseases of cereals
- Manual of environmental microbiology
- food microbiology
- wastewater microbiology
- diagnostic microbiology
- microbial ecology of aquatic environments
- microbial ecology
- bacteria in agrobiology
- developing a coaching business
Please feel free to contact me at anytime if you have questions or suggestions.